Monday, June 19, 2006

Graffiti Aftermath

I was jogging along a footbridge running a highway flyover when I noticed a strong odor of paint thinners. Then I noticed 2 workers removing graffiti on the glass wall separating the highway from the footbridge. When I get closer, I was amazed to find that the worker was using his bare hands.

Paint thinners dissolve stubborn oil-based paints. We cannot tolerate even short exposure to such fumes. Imagine the effects on your hands and organs after long exposure.

I wonder whether the people who put up such graffiti in high exposure areas ever thought about the people who had to remove them. If they know what the workers have to do to remove the graffiti – and the workers must, at such highly visible areas – would they still insist on putting up the graffiti at such places?

It happened on Fathers’ Day. Judging from the age of the workers, they are most likely fathers too. How would their children feel, when they find out what their fathers have to do for a living?

No comments: