Monday, April 02, 2007

Old KaiTak Airport Today

This is the runway of the Old KaiTak Airport at the end of 2006. It doesn't look anything like a runway now, and should look different again in a few years’ time. But I won’t hold my breath.


Hong Kong is supposed to be short in space. Yet the old airport has been idle since 1998, Not completely idle, I suppose. It has been used as a golf course, parking lot, storage for sand (in the middle of this picture), cement factory (at the right of this picture), among other creative uses.

People steel metal from it. A men I found picking up metal bars told me he can make up to a hundred dollars a day. Other people came armed with trucks, cranes and blow torches. Note the missing metal grates, they are too heavy to be carried by hand. Yet the only ones remaining are those under the huge cement blocks.

Some people ride bicycles there. Others fly model airplanes. South Asian kids sneaked in to play cricket. How did I take these pictures? I sneaked in after them the same way, of course. Unfortunately, most of the holes in the fences have been patched up recently. I was still able to sneak in with my daughter last week, but it was much harder.

One can still see the markings directing airplanes to park in front of the gates.



And vehicles should give way to airplanes.




Only helicopters fly over the airport now.

4 comments:

tabbycat said...

I like the "give way to airplanes" sign the most. Maybe it's because I'm exhausted from fighting that journal submission site, but somehow that sign seems funny to me. Almost as funny as Blackmail by Printer.

Okay, I'm in a strange mood tonight :-).

StephenC said...

Yes, I like that too. There might have been others. I wish I had been there earlier, before much of the original pavement and sturctures were destroyed.

tabbycat said...

They should leave some of the original pavement intact, maybe as part of a park or something. I can see young children going through that park and running along the route where airplanes used to take off and land.

But that would be asking for far too much imagination from our government or the developers, I'd think :-P.

StephenC said...

That's an excellent idea. Since I heard that part of the plan is to make part of it recreational. What better theme to adopt than air travel?