Thursday, May 03, 2007

What happens when people die?

Where are these people now? Their graves sit on top of a beautiful hill overlooking Kowloon. But where are they themsleves?

Last Thursday I attended the funeral of one my father’s good friends, whose son happens to be one of my good friends as well. The following day I attended the funeral of the wife of a pastor, that I have known for many years. These days I seem to encounter more funerals than weddings and births of babies.

The pastor was sad that his wife was going away and he will miss her. But he was comforted that he will see her again. That’s the reason Christian funerals are not matters of despair. We are sad that we won’t see our friends and beloved for some time, perhaps for a very long time. But eventually for those who have faith in God, we will meet again in God’s presence. That’s what gives us hope and the strength to love one another.

I thank God for it.

No comments: