Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Art in Yogyakarta (Jogja)

Last time I was in Yogyakarta I was in such a hurry I did not notice the art.  This time I did.  And they are everywhere.  There is batik, of course.  The ladies painstakingly apply wax to the cloth, dye one colour, remove the wax, apply wax in another pattern, dye another colour, repeat again and again, …  


I was this demonstration in the House of Raminten - Jogja’s diversity-embracing restaurant.  I was told Raminten is a female character i a soap opera on Jogja TV performed by the male owner of the restaurant, Hamzah Sulaiman.  


Even the instruction of toilet etiquette is fun. 


On the wall of another restaurant near Duta Wacana Christian University, there is another portrait of an elegant lady.  


Disembodied legs run on the sidewalk nearby.  


Walls are so colourful. 


On the walls of a primary school, there are many intricate wayang (shadow puppet) characters. 


At Malioboro, a lion strolls among the pedestrians. 


The ladies are so colourful. 


An intricate musical instrument made of bamboo. 


A big colourful cock. 


A big lump that resembles a human. 


Jogja is a lot of fun.













No comments: