Friday, March 23, 2018

Morning run on Tsim Sha Tsui Waterfront

Prompted by my daughter A, I have been trying to go out running in the morning before going to work.  


For the past two weeks, the weather has been perfect, with the temperature hovering around 20 degrees.  More importantly, the air has been clear, affording an excellent view of the harbour and Hong Kong Island, almost from one end to the other, when I run between Huang Po and Tsim Sha Tsui.  


West Kowloon has been a mess for 20 years now.  Will it get better?  I dare not hold out too much hope.  But I am hoping against hope that one day, maybe, I can run from East Kowloon to West Kowloon along the waterfront without interruption - truly seeing Hong Kong Island from one end to the other.  I trust it can be an attraction for other people as well. 

In the mean time, going running early allow me to see the people who clean up the streets before the people flood the streets.  They are also an important part of our city.  Although they are not always seen or appreciated. 


There is also the, by now, ubiquitous “free” newspapers and the people who distribute them.  What do people really get from them?  And the very few, uglily preserved “calligraphy” of the “Emperor of Kowloon”.  He was quite a quirky character whom many people remember fondly now that he is gone.  Not so the government, it would appear, however.


Personally, my daughter’s prompting has helped me run 23 kilometres on Sunday, 10 kilometres on Wednesday, and then another 10 kilometres on Friday - a full marathon in one week, albeit not all in one go.  I used to run faster than she did.  Now it is the other way around.  That is the way it should be, I suppose.  But i am not giving up yet.  



No comments: