Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Iceland - whale watching is exciting

We drove 6+ hours to the northern port of Husavik to go whale watching.  


The day that we traveled was sunny.  But it turned dark, cloudy, windy and then it started to rain.  On the morning that we sailed it was still in the balance whether the winds and the waves were too dangerous to sail.  Eventually we did go out, but it was really windy and raining throughout. 


Almost everyone took medicine to prevent seasickness.  But many still could not handle the big waves.  Many big guys threw up multiple times.  It seems being big and strong is not protection against seasickness.  Fortunately I was OK.  


There were several boats out there.  Many of them were smaller than ours.  Watching them made us realise how such pitching and rolling was happening to us in the open sea north of Iceland.  That puts us inside or at least very close to the Artic Circle.  

The smallest boat, a blue one, was the most nimble.  Every time we encountered a whale, it was the closest to the animal.


We did manage to encounter 3 whales.  I caught a glimpse of the back of the first one.  The second one I missed completely.  The third one was very kind to show her back a few times and finally its fluke.  I think they are humpbacks but I am not sure. 

They were too quick for me to take pictures of them.  Our tour guide sent us a picture that she took last year, in the same area.  Perhaps it is one of those that we saw?

We were out there 3 hours.  Many thought it an ordeal.  As for me, once I realised I was not going to throw up, it actually was quite exciting and enjoyable, pitching up and down, forwards and backwards, rolling left to right, in the open sea.  As long as the boat does not capsize, of course. 




No comments: