Thursday, January 24, 2019

Tanzania from the air

My first views of Tanzania are, naturally, from the air.  One of my earlier impressions are houses surrounded by rectangular shaped fences made of trees.  


Some are simple squares, while others are more elaborate. 


Then I realized that the fences can be circular in shape. 


Closer to Dar es Salaam, I could see the houses in more detail.  Many of the houses were without a roof.   Is that a sign of a building bloom - that many houses are being built?  Or is that the opposite - that many households lack the finances to complete their houses?  


Could it be a practice similar to that I heard in Egypt - where people have scraped together some money they build one floor, and then add additional floors one by one?  I also noticed that many houses do not have properly paved floors - grass is growing inside the walls.  

Closer to the city, more houses are completely fenced in by proper walls.  And many houses are big mansions - particularly those fenced in. 


The paths among the houses can be quite intricate.  


Many features become visible when viewed from above.  I guess that’s what it means to take a fresh perspective of things.  

I had not even landed.  Yet Tanzania already looked intriguing. 





1 comment:

YTSL said...

I lived in Tanzania -- with time divided between Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar -- for two years in the mid 1990s. I look forward to reading your impressions of the place. :)