Thursday, April 04, 2019

Homeless



What does a man in Oakland, California and a cat in Hung Hom, Hong Kong have in common?


They are both homeless at a respectable university.  They are also probably both feeling miserable.  


I know nothing about this man, whom I saw in November 2017 at University of California - Berkeley, USA.  I know a little more about this cat, whom I saw several times also in November 2017, at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.  More accurately, just behind Building Y.  Soon afterwards, it disappeared and I have not seen her again.  Someone put up a poster looking for her, but the poster also disappeared soon afterwards.  

Many years ago, there were several cats on campus, and the students loved feeding them.  One day, the university decided that no cats were allowed.  And they disappeared.  I did suggest to our management, at our annual management workshop, in front of 127 of the most senior persons in the university, to let the cats back, and to make the students responsible for taking care of them and keeping them under control.  There are many advantages of having cats on campus, including better mental health for students and staff alike, and a warmer and more humane campus.  I am sure others have made similar pleas.  But sadly, all to no avail.  

The cat probably remains homeless.  And I suspect, so does that homeless man in Berkeley. 

In July, a team from PolyU is going to the University of Southern California to study social issues such as homelessness in Los Angeles, together with a team of students from USC.  Then both teams will come to Hong Kong for a similar study.  

It would be great if they can meet the cat, but I suspect they will not be able to find her.








No comments: