Thursday, July 11, 2019

Roasted suckling pigs, anyone?

We were finding our way to check on some students who were wiring up some houses in a valley in Kibara, Rwanda when we stumbled upon a pile of piglets.  When I moved closer to take a photo, one of them discovered me, and looked up. 

Soon the others began to wake up as well, and scrambled through a hole to find their mother, in the next pen. 


Perhaps they feel more secure while suckling their mother?


However, it wasn’t too long before they realised I posed no threat.  One by one, they came back through he hole, to look at me.   I am actually not too sure what the interest was.  


They were cute.  But I had to go back down the hill to find other students.  So I turned around after taking a few photos. 

I didn’t realise that they were following me down the hill, until I turned around and found them scrambling after me.  

When I stopped, they also stopped and looked up at me.  Perhaps they are thinking: "What now?".  


I was tempted to take one back to the guest house and see whether I can make a roasted suckling pig.  Of course, I would be quite happy to pay for it.  I don’t think it will be very expensive.  But it will be a much welcomed change of diet.  However, it would be messy to try to kill a pig at the guest house.  And it might even be illegal.  I am pretty sure it is illegal in Hong Kong - to slaughter a pig at home.  



No comments: