Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Why do I run?

It was a sunny 30 degrees C this morning.  I was stewing in my sweat after running for 17 kilometers. I probably lost 4 pounds from the sweating, which I will regain in a day after drinking enough water.  After taking a shower, I was dead tired, and fell asleep on the sofa for an hour.  When I woke up, I didn’t want to get up.  My feet were so sore I didn’t want to put them on the floor.  I tried to massage my feet.  But they started to cramp, so I had to keep them straight.  They hurt, but at least it was a good kind of hurt.  Almost 3 hours after running, I finally regained enough energy to go for lunch and grocery shopping with my wife.  

So why do I do it?  

First of all, sweating is good for my body.  Sweating so profusely feels clammy and smells foul.  But I was told it improves circulation, and somehow cleanses my body of some undesirable stuff, although I am not sure what that stuff is.  I do know that I feel extremely tired but relaxed afterwards.  


Secondly, persevering is good for my mind.   Knowing that you can keep on running when you have absolutely nothing left because you have promised yourself to run 10, …, 15, 16, 17, … 20, 30, 42 kilometers gives me confidence that I don’t have to admit defeat easily.


Thirdly, solitude is good for my soul.  Left alone for one hour, two hours, three hours, sometimes I can work out a problem, a speech, a project.  Often I can see things more clearly, in the middle of nowhere, without the normal hinderances around me.  Sometimes I feel I am alone in front of my maker, answering fundamental questions of what, how, and why.  

That is why I keep running.  


No comments: