Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Ham and Nuts Mooncake 金華火腿五仁月餅

This is my favourite mooncake.  Not the lotus paste with double egg yokes 雙黃蓮蓉.  Not iced skins 冰皮.  Not some of the fancy new ones.  But nuts with air-dried ham.  



Crunchy nuts (sesame 芝麻, pine nuts 松子仁, watermelon seeds 瓜子仁, …)  Flavourful ham.  Sweetened winter melon (糖冬瓜). Sweet and slightly salty.  Multi-layered flavour and complex texture in each bite.  Even a small nibble gives you a full range of flavours and texture.  One can choose to spread the experience in multiple small nibbles.  Or treat yourself in full volume with a big bite.  

When I was young I didn't particularly like it.  Then I found my father eating it and I tried.  And it just grew on me.  Now it is my favourite.  Is it because of my father?  Is it my life experience that taught me appreciation of it?  Am I just getting old?  Perhaps a little of everything?  Who knows?  But I am sure of one thing - that I like it. 


This particular one is from a social enterprise that serves the elderly.  


You derive satisfaction from so many different perspectives.  It is well worth the money.  What are you waiting for?  Go get one for yourself, and more for your friends.  



No comments: