Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Anita Mui

Looking back, It appears that this is the first time that I write about an entertainer.  I am not sure how to do it.  But I feel I should.  I went to see the movie Anita because I have heard so much about it.  Several of my friends, good friends, have been talking about it, writing in Facebook about it, deeply touched by it.  It seems they are touched by her singing and acting, loyalty to her friends, care for people who suffer, nostalgia for her times - which is also our times.  



So I went to see it.  I am not disappointed.  It is all that and more.  I have never paid to go to a concert at the Hung Hom Coliseum by pop singers.  But I love Mui’s deep voice.   There is something about her childhood in poverty, having to sing to earn a living when just a child, having to miss school, working so hard to succeed, courage to try so many new things, creating so many new images, being so loyal to people around her, and so generous in giving of herself.  Each of these is not totally common. But the combination is not commonly seen.  


There is also a feeling that even she might find it challenging to live through these times.  When many of the things that she did would have gotten her into trouble.  She would be under huge pressure to change sides, or at least to stay silent.  And the movie itself. It is amazing that it can be made, and shown in these times.  The people who made it are very smart, steering it in such a way that touch so many, without crossing so many hidden lines.  


We pray that the human spirit does not die.  That we continue to work hard for something that is worthy, have the courage to do the right thing, be kind to people and have faith.  May God help us.  





No comments: