Tuesday, June 13, 2023

A Hungry Man

Was sitting in a fast food restaurant one morning.  Reading a fascinating book on people who think visually rather than verbally, how they have been mis-understood and under-appreciated, to the detriment of society.  Washing it down with a hot cup of milk tea, accompanied by a hash brown.  A most enjoyable morning.  


Suddenly I realised my peace was disturbed by a man sitting down opposite me.  Since the table can sit 4, I have no reason to stop him.  I continue to read may book.  But couldn’t help to notice that he seemed to be drinking water from a paper cup.   Perhaps he was waiting for his order.  Quite a while later, he still wasn’t eating.  Hmmm.



Out of the blue, he asked, “Have you used your consumption voucher?” Huh?  Suddenly blindsided, I can’t remember exactly what I mumbled, embarrassed.  He fell silent.  I tried to take a peek at hm discreetly.  He seemed short, and not very well dressed.  Perhaps he was hungry?  I have not yet started on my muffin.  Perhaps I can give him my muffin?


As I was still mulling on these thoughts, I realised he had walked away.  Oh, well!  A minute later, I started kicking myself for being so slow.  Thereby I stood up, and looked around for him.  He seemed to have disappeared from the restaurant.  Where was he?  Still kicking myself, I returned to my table and started on my muffin. 


Half way through my muffin, he appeared again, and was going to walk pass me to the exit.  This time, I made him sit down, walked over to the kiosk to order the same breakfast I was having, and gave him the ticket.  He knew what to do with it.  Obviously this was not the first time he ate here.  We ate in silence.  I tried to engage him.  But he didn’t seem eager to talk.  So I did not push him.  Soon I had to go back to the office.   I have not seen him again since. 


This little episode caused me to think.  If only each one of us who can, be a little kind to one of those in need, wouldn’t our community be a kinder community?  I don’t mean to re-distribute wealth in a significant way.  The resistance and anticipated fierce fightback from the notorious 1% of society is beyond me.  They are surely going to pull out all kinds of grandiose theories on why it is not right, that they deserve what they have amassed, that it is going to destroy incentives, that advocates are dangerous subversives, etc.


I just mean to do a little to ensure that people do not go hungry when they are down, and people get some help finding a doctor when they are sick, that kind of thing.  Surely each of us can afford to look out for the not-too-great number of people around us at home, at work, or at church?  It is an effort small enough that most of us can afford.  And if enough of us are willing, the community can be transformed.  In fact, that is the spirit behind service-learning.  Be empathetic.  Be compassionate.  Be socially responsible.   Start with ourselves.  That's what God would want us to do, isn't it?





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We pray God to help the needy. But God wants us to be answered prayers to them: we ourselves are to help.