Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Russian food in San Diego

Our daughter C and son-in-law N took me to a Russian restaurant in San Diego. One of their favourites, apparently.  


There was a 5-part salad with beans, eggplant, potatoes, beets, and rice.  All with different sauces and colours.  Attractive look, each with a distinct taste and texture. It is something you eat with your eyes as well as mouth.  I think my wife would love it.  


A dumpling stuffed with cheese. Vareniki? I thought it might be plain-tasting, but no. Really liked it.  



A boat-shaped flatbread baked with cheese and a raw egg. Khachapuri, I believe.  I regret not having taken a photo of it before the server mixed the egg with the cheese.  It look eerily like a giant eye.  So good when it was piping hot.  



Beef Stroganoff, in a mushroom source.  Something I have always liked, and true to expectations. 



Then, cabbage roll stuffed with meat, in a creamy source.  Golubtsi, I think.  Full of flavour. Big portions, and I ate it all up.  


We talked about books, church, current events, …  All in all, an excellent meal!



No comments: