Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Jin Yong 金庸 Exhibition

Went to an exhibition about Jin Yong a short while ago at the Heritage Museum.  Probably the most famous Chinese wuxia (武俠小說) novelist.  I believe I have read all of his wuxia novels.  



As a fan, I enjoyed the exhibition.  It has some of his original manuscripts, in his own handwriting.  It was written on some of the popular manuscript paper (原稿紙) that students in our days used in schools to submit their assignments on writing.  



Many of his novels were first published as serials in newspapers, one small piece a day.  It was one way to entice people to read the newspapers.  



Then they were published in small, thin booklets, that you can purchase.  Dozens of these booklets make one complete novel.  



Perhaps the key attractions at the exhibition are the sculptures of characters in the novels. They are done in a heroic fashion.   As expected, they do not always match the image I have developed from reading the novels themselves.  But they are fascinating nevertheless. 



Overall, it is an interesting exhibition.  I do not regret attending.



It also reminded me of an episode in my university life.  I was studying at the University of Rochester, in New York state in the USA.  They have some of Jin Yong’s novels in the East Asian library.  Many students from Hong Kong borrowed them when the examinations are over.  One year I had this idea I would borrow one of them (in 4 volumes) before the examination, to read afterwards.  I ended up staying up overnight to finish all 4 volumes in one sitting - before the examination.  Fortunately, I did pass the examination, I think.  



 




No comments: