Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Day Off

Wednesday is our day off.  I do not go to the office; my wife does not teach; and we usually do not make appointments with anyone.  

Today I started with a 10 kilometre run along the TSTE water front.  It is good weather for running - not too hot, and not too cold either.  After breaking my foot last September,  I have since recovered to the extent I can run without discomfort from the broken foot.  But I do not dare run too fast, and am always worry about the uneven pavement. I have a feeling I may not be able to run another full marathon.   



Then we go out for dim sum.  This is a restaurant which has only been open for a few months.  The food is genuinely improving and getting pretty good.  Today they surprise us with a new dish - steamed eel, which we quite like.  



After dim sum, I took a nap on the sofa in front of our big window.  I felt tired and fulfilled, my stomach full, safe and comfortable, and drifted off in no time at all.   When I woke up, I had to stretch my legs and feet for a while before I could get off the sofa. 



Then I practiced on the piano, which has been left lonely after all three of our girls moved out and away.  I am using some of the music books they left behind.  I have been learning for a year now and have learned only 5 very short, simple songs.  The songs sound right.  But I am not really sure whether I am playing the notes correctly, in the right way.   I do know that I enjoy the sound of the piano.  Starting with one hand, then two hands together in a simple combination, it feels good to be able to play a few simply songs.  I also enjoy learning to put emotion into the music, to communicate with it - even though I am only talking with myself. 



While playing the piano, I also made tea, with the tea set from our daughter A.  Very tasty tea.  


For dinner, my wife made a delicious plate with some of the dried seafood (mushrooms, fish maws, abalone, chicken and choi sum) we bought in Sai Ying Pun on Sunday.  Washed down with a beer.  Really satisfying!



After dinner, I return to my reading and writing.  I am learning the difference between the left side and the right side of our brain, and how they change the way we interact with the world - and change history. Fascinating stuff, and highly relevant to everything that we do, and think! 


Is this what retirement is like?  I can do it one day a week.  But I am sure I would enjoy it if everyday is like this.  



No comments: