Sunday, June 05, 2022

Generosity and Selfishness - both are Hong Kong

My wife and I were standing in a MTR carriage on our way to our favourite dim sum restaurant in Tsuen Wan.  She spotted a couple of seats became available on the bench behind me across the aisle.  She took one and motioned for me to take the other.  At the same time, a young lady in front of me, who was facing the seats, saw them before I did, moved cross and took the seat next to my wife.  When I realised what had happened, I stopped.  What else could I do?


In the mean time, the young lady saw my wife signalling me, got up from the seat, and graciously stepped aside.  I was very grateful and took the seat.  Later, I thank the young lady for her generosity.  She seemed embarrassed.  



When we finished a sumptuous meal of dim sum, we went across the road, to wait for our bus in front of a public wet market.  There were two lanes for the traffic going back into the city and vehicles were able to move normally, despite some of the cars stopping at the curb in front of the market, presumably to drop off or pick up some of the customers.  Suddenly, we realised that the traffic had practically stopped. because of some blockage just meters up the road from us.  I stepped onto the road to see what happened. 


It turned out that a car had double parked, in the middle of the road.  The effect is that the “slow” lane was completely blocked.  Even the “fast” lane was partially blocked.  Big double decker buses had to squeeze gingerly through the partially blocked fast lane, and then pull sharply to the left to get to the bus stop, and stop at an angle to the curb to pick up passengers.  


In a short couple of hours, we witness both heart-warming generosity and annoying selfishness.  Both are Hong Kong.  Is it a simple coincidence that the act of generosity took place on the MTR, which “common folks” travel in, but the act of selfishness took place among car-driving people who are presumably more well-off (some of those cars are definitely quite posh)?







  

No comments: