Sunday, November 26, 2023

Salute to a Salesian Education

In 1973, we graduated from Aberdeen Technical School, having just completed Form 5.  In those days Form 6 and 7 are “preparatory” for university, and ATS did not offer those courses.  There were roughly 80 of us in two classes in Form 5, one mechanical and the other electrical.  I was in the electrical class.  


Last evening we had our 50th reunion, and 40 of us showed up.  Some coming back from Australia, USA, Canada,  UK, Singapore and Mainland China.  At least 8 of us had passed away already.  So more than half of those who are still alive showed up.  Many of them I have not seen in years, even decades.  We also had some of the wives, and teachers, with us.  Altogether we had 60 people, occupying 5 large tables.  Consuming many bottles of red wine, donated by one of us.  



What brought us together after so many years?  Sitting on my right was one who went into business after graduation.  To my left was a chairman of one of the district councils.  We had very different interests and careers.  Yet we all have favourable views of our experience at ATS. 


In those days soccer was king at ATS. Our school team won many awards and sometimes played against the professionals. Those in the school team are the heroes, who enjoy privileges such as going outside and skipping classes.  I was one of the worst players, the last one picked - reluctantly - by the captains to form teams in the compulsory daily soccer exercises.  



The school was also very proud of our gymnastics team.  They wore nice uniforms  to perform in front of the whole school and important guests on important occasions.  For obvious reasons they are only for the strong and agile.  And I was neither, so I had no hope.  


The school band was also glamorous.  They played and marched in special festivals. Like the gymnastics team, they were the centre of attention.  I tried to learn clarinet, but was never good enough, so I gave up after one year.  


I was short and lightly-built.  Always in the front of the lineup, along with the other midgets.  I did not stand out at all.  At the same time, nobody bullied me, or paid me much attention.  That had the advantage of leaving me with a lot of time on my hands.  So I read.  Anything that I could get my hands on.  I couldn’t afford to buy my own books, so I read - textbooks, reference books, Bible, …, and maps.  I love maps.  I checked out books from our library: on animals, airplanes, sharks, novels, …  I stand in front of the bulletin boards to read daily newspapers, both Chinese and English, and the Catholic newspaper. 


What I learned particularly was the pursuit of knowledge.  I want to know the truth of everything - particularly anything related to faith.  What does the Bible day?   Was the Pope truly given the power to prescribe our behaviour?  Is artificial insemination wrong simply because the Pope said so?   Do I need to belong to the Catholic Church in order to be a Christian?  Can I believe in God by myself, without going to mass?  Who is God anyway?  What about other religions?  Is there truth in them?  What can science tell us?  


I also learned about justice and compassion.  If we are all created by God, why are some rich and other poor?  What are the obligations of those who are given much?  What happens to those who are selfish, who take God’s blessings to benefits themselves only?


I feel my whole life and career has been driven by these values.  The pursuit of truth, justice and compassion.  In many ways the same as “Faith, Hope and Love” - but from another perspective, in different words. 


It seems many of us there last evening also learned something very dear to them.  What they learned may or may not be exactly what I learned, but there are a lot in common.  That is what brought so many us together again, 50 years after we have left.  


Salute to a Salesian Education. 




No comments: