Thursday, November 09, 2017

Books and Food

I have only been in the USA 5 days and it is the second time I eat in a place that look like a library.  The first one was Umami Burgers near Stanford University.  This one is Busboys and Poets near University of Maryland.  The name is based on the story of a poet who worked as a busboy before he became successful.  


My plate of oven roasted chicken was very good.  It was juicy and tasty, with French beans and finger potatoes.  I finished it in no time.   Too bad we were in a hurry and I didn’t have time to explore the books.  I would love to come back.  It is wonderful to have two of my favourite things in one place.  When I have to eat by myself, I always eat with a book, and take a long time.  

We are here for service-learning, of course.  Tomorrow we have meetings all day.  On the one hand, we have to work out the details of a joint course that we are running for the second time, between PolyU and Maryland.  This time we are taking on Royal University of Phnom Penh as well.  Some classes will be run through video-conferencing in Spring.  Then the 3 teams will meet in Phnom Penh in June, for further training and then to build a community learning centre in Kampong Speu.  We are excited about the great challenge.  On the other hand, we hope to develop other ways to collaborate.  

No comments: