Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Recycling - Hong Kong style

A large bag of paper, mostly old newspapers, weighting roughly 6 kilograms, is worth 3 Hong Kong dollars, at the recycling depot.  For many old people, mostly ladies as far as I can tell, this is a hard way to make a living.  For many others, such as my wife, the money is not an issue; people just want to help.  


I understand the paper is not actually processed in Hong Kong.  Rather, they are pressed, packed and then shipped to Mainland China for processing.  This really reflects poorly on Hong Kong’s efforts in recycling.  But such is our government.  What can one say?


On the other hand, there are people in Hong Kong running a small business recycling paper beverage carton boxes.  They require you to cut open the boxes, cut off the plastic parts, clean the boxes and then deposit them at the collection bins.  


There are few collection bins and they are not easy to find.  I know because I tried, upon instructions from my wife.  You get no money back.  It is not required by the government.  And people still do it.  It is quite amazing.  Some even mail the boxes to the company.  Such are Hong Kong people.  I have nothing but admiration for them.  


I am sure we can do a lot more recycling in Hong Kong, if only the government does a little more organization, and gives the people a little more help.  Is that too much to expect from your government?










No comments: