Sunday, May 03, 2020

Versatile Hands

Our hands are really versatile.  A while ago, when I was reading about the brain, I learned that if we map each of our body parts to the areas in our brain that control each of the body parts, the hands are actually mapping to a much larger area than the feet, the legs, the arms, the torso, and most other parts of our body.  

I made my first hand when I noticed that a bend in the stem of a palm leaf resembled in shape a hand bend backwards to catch something like a baseball dropping from the sky.   Or to hold up the sky itself.  


Keeping the stem attached to the hand, I can make a “long arm of the law” for my lawyer daughter. 


Or to make a hand-stand. 


A simple hand, raised straight up.   Signalling agreement.  Or seeking permission to speak. 


Two hands put together to applaud.  


Or to sing praises to God. 



No comments: