Monday, January 03, 2022

M+, again

Three and a half months ago, in late September, I broke my foot here outside M+.  For 6 weeks, my right foot had to be in an air cast whenever I walk.  For 3 months, I used a stick to help me walk.  Yesterday, I walked here again, and completed 10 kilometres.  The broken bone felt OK.  My ankles were sore, probably because they were rusty.  And the bottom of my feet felt sensitive.  But all the discomfort went away overnight.  I cannot run yet.  But I felt liberated already.  



There was almost another mishap soon after passing by M+.  I was walking briskly along the water front, through a thick crowd.  Suddenly I felt something around my ankles.  My feet got tangled up with a kite string.  A kid, probably 4 years old, about 10 feet away, yelled “that is ours!”.   I extricated myself, eventually, almost cutting myself on the rough string.  The string was obviously not a normal piece of string, but reinforced with something.  I shuddered to think what might happen if the kite was in the air and the string was at the level of my neck, across the path on which I was walking briskly.  



The father checked on the kid, to make sure he was not hurt, and helped him collect the string.  He did not apologise to me, even though he must have witnessed what happened.  I do not blame the kid.  After all, he was only 4-5 years old.  But the father is an adult, and he should know better than to allow his kid to fly a kite, with a reinforced string, in such a crowded area.  


I got away from the area quickly.  Reached home safely eventually.


 


No comments: