Saturday, March 12, 2022

Today

I started the day writing down the dreams I had last night.  Then I sat under the trees on campus, with a cup of tea and a book, listening to the birds chirp.  They have taken over the campus since all the people stay away.  Which I do not mind a bit.  


Today I may turn another piece of palm tree leaf, discarded as junk, into something beautiful.  I may revise a little of the book on the story of service-learning at our university, which I have been working on for more than a year.  I may do a little more of the fascinating mind-consciousness-soul study that I have been doing for some time.  I am reading a little more of the book “NOISE - A flaw in human judgement”, by Daniel Kahneman.  I will read a little more of the book “The Master and His Emissary - The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World” by Ian McGilchrist. I will certainly respond to the birthday wishes from my friends. 



I am being amused by some of the old homework by our daughters - dug up by my wife just now - which shows traits of their character and talents at a very early age. I may call my aunt who lives alone.  I may ask my wife to send some money to Ukraine.  I will certainly pray for Hong Kong, Ukraine, and Ethiopia, and Yemen. I may still go running. I will surely do some pushups. … I may finish writing this article.  



I may not be able to do all of the above. But I will certainly do some, even a majority of them.  



Today is just like any other day, with the pandemic still raging, war in Ukraine and other places, outrageous injustice in many places in the world, including Hong Kong, much work to do and only 24 hours to do them, …  On the other hand, today is also unlike any other day.  Not because it is my birthday - since it is just an artefact of the calendar, a result of the way people decided to measure time.  But because the day is still just unfolding.  I can decide to make it a day to forget, a day to regret, or a day to feel fulfilled, a day to remember.  We cannot control what happens to the world.  But we can control how we perceive it, what we make of it.  Today is my day.




  


No comments: