Monday, March 21, 2022

Yuen-Tsuen Ancient Trail 元荃古道 Hike

Went through a small section (near Tsuen Wan) of the old road between Tsuen Wan and Yuen Long.  This was supposedly the major trail for travelling between Yuen Long and Tsuen Wan before the opening of Castle Peak Road. 



Soon after setting off near the Adventist Hospital, there is a huge, sprawling banyan tree.  Unlike banyan trees in the city, the government does not bother to come here to chop off the air roots. Here they are allowed to drop from the tree to reach the ground, thicken into trunks to support the thick branches, which drop more air roots, which thickens, …  One tree becomes a forest by itself.  Truly spectacular. 



After getting up a steep hill to Ha Fa Shan, one is treated to wide vistas. I was struck by how many bridges there are within sight.  There are at least 6 in the area. Tsing Yi North Bridge, Tsing Yi South Bridge, and Stonecutters Bridge on one side to the east. Ting Kau Bridge, Tsing Ma Bridge and Kap Shui Mun Bridge to the west.  Has Hong Kong suddenly become a city of bridges?



In the 1960s and 70s, when I was growing up, Tsuen Wan was this “satellite city” that was being built.  It sounded and felt like a far-a-away place where one goes to visit relatives at Lunar New Year once a year, or school outings once in a long time.  Now it is a vibrant city in its own right, and part of the urban area at the same time.  


Yet a short hike takes one back to the countryside.  It is far away enough to feel surrounded by trees, flowers, and birds.  Yet close enough to still see the buildings, streets, and traffic.  Pulling away, one gets panoramic views of both in the same frame.  


The rain cut short my hike.  But not before seeing the flowers named after birds - 禾雀花, 白花油麻藤, Mucuna birdwoodiana, and many others. 


The rain also produce other interesting sights.  But they do not last long.  



My flatfeet, poor balance, bad ankles ravaged by many injuries from playing soccer and the running, plus the 12 kilometre run the day before made the hike more tiring than it should. My feet was a bit shaky and the ankles hurt - towards the end of the hike and on the way home.  I was so relieved when I finally reached home, and was able to take off the shoes and put my feet up.  But it is worth it. Today the pain is gone already.  What remains are good memories.  I am so thankful that I can still do it, with my wife and good friends.   I will continue to do it until that day when I positively cannot do it anymore. 




 


  


No comments: