Saturday, May 28, 2022

Quarantine World

Day 6 of quarantine.  This is not a posh hotel room, but reasonable in price, size, setup, management, and food.  On the hotel and room itself we have no complaints.  


It is the nature of the quarantine that is the problem.  The first and undergirding thought is that it is so unnecessary and futile.  We have had three shots of vaccination for the virus.  We have been tested in Hong Kong, in Toronto, in Vancouver, in Hong Kong again, so many times, via PCR, rapid antigen tests, …   Many people who test positive for the virus  and actually have fairly serious symptoms stay home until they are cleared.  Why is that I, who have been tested as negative so many times have to be quarantined in a hotel, instead of my own home?  Is quarantine in this situation really necessary to start with?


Then there is the routine: eat - test - sleep - eat - test - sleep - … - ad nauseam. My bed is three feet from the desk.  It feels I eat, sleep, read, computer-act without moving.  After a while, the acts seem to merge together.  Sometimes I do read and eat in bed, and doze off at the desk.  What is the difference?  I realize I can gt a bigger room and a better view if I am willing to pay more.  But money is money.  And why do I have to throw more of my money after something I am forced to undertake?  It just seems wrong.  


The food is not too bad. But the presentation, and the taste is pretty much the same every meal.  After a while, it does get repetitive.  



We can see a slice of the world: road, people, vehicles, mountain and trees, sky, clouds and sometimes, sun.  It is better than staring at windows across the street only, or worse, the back of a wet market, …  


I do get connected with the world through TV, Internet, …, my phone.  But interactions through the screen is two-dimensional, not three.  There is also no touch.  I do have my wife with me - it makes a big difference.  But still, …   I did plough through two very interesting books.  But eyes tire after staring at pages for a long time.  


The worse is that all these are so unnecessary.  What purpose does it achieve?  Except that the government can appear to be doing something pleasing in certain eyes, that some businesses make some good money?  Does anyone care that real people are being put through the ordeal?  


Just another case of man-made misery without (good) meaning and purpose?


  


No comments: