Thursday, April 30, 2020

Balancing Bird - Art and Science

This is something I am quite proud of.  Something I have not seen elsewhere.  The bird can balance itself on its beak. 

In Physics-speak, the centre of gravity of the bird is at a point directly under its beak.  The gravitational force is such that when the bird is moved away from its position of equilibrium, the resulting force returns it to the position of equilibrium.  Hence it is stable.  

The inspiration came from a dragonfly made of pieces of bamboo put together that can balance on its head.  From Vietnam, I believe.  

My bird is cut out of a whole piece of dead palm leaf of the right shape.

Before my father passed away last year, I made one for him and flew with it to Toronto to give it to him.  Four days later, he passed away in his sleep.  


Today the bird is perched at the end of a stick in my office.  The stick itself is a broken tree branch from the typhoon last year. 







No comments: