Sunday, December 13, 2020

Sugar-apples 釋迦, 番荔枝

For a while, I was quite confused by two slightly different versions of the sugar-apple 釋迦.  It took me a while. Now I think I have sorted them out.  


Sugar-apple is something that i have known from long time ago as 番荔枝.  It was actually called 番鬼荔枝. But that is probably not so politically correct these days, so people seems to have dropped the from the name.  It is often sold as 釋迦 in Hong Kong these days. 



Then there is the almost identical pineapple sugar-apple 鳳梨釋迦.  It is not a cross between sugar-apple and pineapple.  But actually a cross between sugar-apple and cherimoya 秘魯番荔枝.  What is very confusing is that the pineapple sugar-apple is often also sold as 釋迦 in Hong Kong these days.  




Cherimoya is a relative of the sugar-apple, with a much smoother skin. The pineapple sugar-apple has a skin that is smoother than the sugar-apple.  And the internal partitions are less pronounced.  Both are quite sweet.  I like both, but prefer the sugar-apple slightly because it seems to have a more complex texture and taste.  


If it is not confusing enough, other than these three - sugar-apple, cherimoya and pineapple sugar-apple - there is also the soursop.  I heard that it is called 刺果番荔枝, or  红毛榴槤.  The one that I had in Vietnam was much more sour than sweet. 




No comments: