Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Mulberry Surprises

On Sunday morning, at the end of my 10K run, I passed by a mulberry tree. I had been aware of the tree for some time.  But that morning I spotted some very dark (ripe) mulberries. 



I picked a few.  By then my fingers had started to turn pink, from the juice of the mulberry.  When they are ripe, the slightest pressure would break the very thin skin.  And often you do have to apply a tiny bit of pressure to pick them off the tree.  


Obviously I could not put the mulberries in my pocket.  They would become a mess and inedible.  The only other thing on me that seemed useful was a big handkerchief that I used as a face mask.  I tied up corners of the handkerchief to make a bag and put some mulberries in it.  But then how could I re-enter my building without a mask?  Perhaps I could empty them into my hands then. How much can I hold in my hands?  And how would I then put my “handkerchief-mask” back on?  And the mulberry would certainly stain my colourful handkerchief. What to do?


While I was thus fidgeting, someone called from across the street.  It was a woman  in worker’s clothes sitting on a low hedge on the sidewalk.  Perhaps a worker from some company contracted by the government to take care of the vegetation or the space along the waterfront.  I couldn’t tell what she was saying.  I was afraid she might be trying to stop me from picking the mulberries.  Hence I was inclined to ignore her.  


But her voice sounded friendly. So I walked over.  She waved a plastic bag at me. What?  Then I realised she was offing me the empty bag to hold the mulberries.  She had noticed my struggle to find something to hold my mulberries.  She was eating a small cake as a snack while taking a break.  She consumed the cake quickly and offered me the bag!  I had mistaken her generosity as hostility.  Shame on me!  I did thank her and was happy with the turn of events.  Now I could pick a lot more mulberries to share with my wife and our two good friends that we were going to go hiking with later in the day. 


I was doubly surprised that morning.  Firstly by the very tasty mulberry.  Secondly by an act of kindness.  


While I was picking, a young Caucasian couple walked by.  They saw me and joined in - picking and eating happily. It turned out they were from Ukraine.  Mulberries are common back home but they couldn't find them in Hong Kong until that morning.  For me, this was my first encounter with someone from Ukraine in Hong Kong.  


I remember feeding mulberry leaves to silkworms and eating the berries while I was in primary school.  Mulberries do have a special place in my memory.  


It was a good morning which was going to get even better.  



No comments: