Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Death of a Banker - part 2

When I brought up this case while speaking at a church this morning, it struck a cord in a way I did not expect.

It turned out that a lady at the service used to work for the banker. She told me he was a really caring person. She was only working part-time and yet he tried hard to place her at a good position, and promised her help when she needed it. She told me he was under pressure to “deliver some people”- an euphemism for identifying people to be fired. She felt quitting wasn’t really a good solution for him as his replacement would still (be under pressure to) carry out the command. I have to agree with her, in a certain way.

But I do believe God will give us strength to stand up to unjust demands, or to give us wisdom to resist them without outright confrontation, or to find ingenius ways to change the situation, ... He will help us somehow. Often we are afraid to stand up because we are afraid of the consequences - making a bad impression on the management, losing face, losing our jobs, ... Faith in God, and faith in that God will take care of us somehow, will help us withstand the pressure. This is not merely a psychological prop. God is real and He can indeed look after us. We may still quit or lose our jobs. But we will survive, and be stronger for it. Sometimes losing our jobs may be the best things that happened to us.

It is not always the case that people making the most money, and occupying the loftiest positions are the winners, and the people at the opposite ends are the losers. What good is it that we earn the whole world but ended up losing our souls?

That’s what Jesus meant when He said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”



No comments: