Monday, March 07, 2016

Lost and found - a good man

Yesterday I ran to Sai Kung.  The run was smooth and I felt good.  So I walked around, ate some rice pudding (雞屎籐茶粿), and watched people selling seafood from the boats anchored off the pier for a long time.  One big crab was selling for HK$700.  


When I got home, I realised I had lost my Hong Kong Identity card.  Thinking back, I thought I might have lost it when I fished for money from my pocket to pay the minibus.  I spent the evening trying to find out how to apply for a replacement card, all the while annoyed at myself for being careless. 

This morning, when I got to my office, I got a phone call from a Mr. Chan, who said he had my ID.  It turned out someone found it near the 茶粿 shop. I must have dropped it when paying for the 茶粿, rather than the minibus. Someone with a tour group found it, asked around and realised it did not belong to the tour group.  Somehow it ended up with this Mr. Chan.  Since I inserted my business card in a plastic holder together with my ID card, Mr. Chan tried to call me at my office several times yesterday and this morning, until he found me. 

I got to Sai Kung as soon as I could, and found Mr. Chan in front of one of the biggest seafood restaurants.  I was, of course, very grateful to him.  He refused to accept any monetary reward, and in fact, seemed embarrassed by it.  He quickly turned around and walked into the restaurant.  

Thank you, Mr. Chan.  You are a good man.  




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many years ago, I found a cell phone in the taxi. The owner of the phone called and asked me if I can returned it. I told him I was on the way to a meeting and would contact him later. When I returned the cell phone to him, he insisted on giving me $500. I was embarrassed. Suddenly, a good idea pop-up, I asked him to donate the money to any charity organization.

YTSL said...

Hi Stephen --

There are plenty of good men and women about in Hong Kong and the world at large still. We often forget this because of encounters with less nice people. So it's always good to hear about one of the good folks in our midst.

StephenC said...

Yes, you are, of course, right. And I am grateful.