Saturday, July 16, 2016

English food

In a short 3 days, I have already encountered a number of iconic, or at least unusual, food in Manchester.  At the first dinner in a famous local pub, I had bone marrow for appetiser.  It is basically fat and occasionally eaten in China.  Hence I was mildly surprised when some of my Mainland Chinese companions ordered the same but could not stomached it when it arrived.   


Yet many cultures treasure it as nutritional, and even medicinal.   In Isaiah 25:6 in the Old Testament in the Bible, “On this mountain the Lord of Hosts will make for all peoples a feast of rich food … full of marrow, of aged wine well refined.”  To me, it tasted … just like pure fat.  

On the following day at breakfast I encountered again black pudding (a black disc), which is basically a sausage made with blood as an ingredient. 


On the final day, before going to the airport, I had fish and chips for lunch.  The fish was cod, soft and white, with a mild taste.   


In between, I had a memorable lunch of Indian cuisine.  There were sumptuous amounts of curries, meats, spices, sauces, breads, …  It was a feast of aromas, colours and tastes.   

No, I did not eat Chinese food in Manchester. 









No comments: