Friday, August 26, 2016

Latin American Service-Learning

I am here in Buenos Aires to attend a Latin American International Conference on Service-Learning.  There are ~500 people here from all over South and Central America, completely filling up all the seats.  The organiser is CLAYSS (Centro Latinoamericano de Aprendizaje y Servicio Solidario).  I noticed that they pronounce CLAYSS in way that  sounds like “Christ”.  I do not know whether it was intentional. 


I was one of the speakers at a panel which presents service-learning in a number of countries: Uruguay, South Africa, Columbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Hong Kong (me). Each of us had ~12-15 minutes.  My talk (about service-learning at PolyU) was well received. They were impressed that we are offering ~70 subjects with 4,500 students.  And that we have some eye practical projects with solar panels, computers, networks, social media, eye examinations, tourism, health, …  


There was a big applause when I told them I always go with the students, and would not ask students to do something that I do not do myself.  Afterwards some people came up to have photos taken with me.  It was great for my ego.  But I am also aware that it is God who allows me to play a part in this great endeavour.  One of the speakers said that it felt good to be with students serving the community fervently.  Those are exactly my felling as well. 








No comments: