Wednesday, September 05, 2018

An Encounter of the Cat Kind

I was running through To Gwa Wan near the old Kai Tak Airport on a Saturday morning when I saw this cat guarding a garage.  It looked bored.  It has a kind of a leopard-like coat.  Perhaps it was thinking: I should be hunting fat, juicy, stupid zebras on the African savanna.  What am I doing here guarding a filthy, oily garage against nothing?  


While I was trying to imagine what she was thinking, she noticed me, rolled over, started to stretch - with claws extended, and sneaked a peek at me.  Perhaps it was thinking: What do you want?  Are you offering me a zebra?


In a split second, while lying on its side and still fully stretched, it stared straight ahead.  Something caught its attention.  


It turned towards me one more time.  As if asking: are you more interesting than “that”?


It then sat up, straighten, and concentrated on “that”.  Obviously, I could not compete against “that”.  I never found out what “that” was.  

In less than a minute, she relaxed, folded her hands inside, and returned to her original posture.  As if nothing had happened.  

I took the cue to leave to continue with my run.  She definitely knows her position vis-a-vis us humans - she is the master while we are here to entertain and feed her.  






1 comment:

Cyiu Chau said...

Reminds me of something Winston Churchill supposedly said:
"Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you. Give me a pig! He looks you in the eye and treats you as an equal."