Monday, September 24, 2018

Mid-Autumn (中秋)

I do not particularly like the modern style mooncakes - those “iced skin”, “runny heart”, etc.  Not that they do not taste good.  Just that they do not feel like “real” moon cakes.  


My wife bought me some real ones: “ham with 5 kinds of nuts (火腿五仁月餅)”.  I remember that I did not quite like it when I was small, but my father did.  And now I do.  How did it happen?  Is it because the aroma that I experienced in childhood became associated with memories of my father?  Or simply that as I grow older my tastes became more like my father’s?  In any case my wife confirms with me that it does taste good.  


She also bought and boiled some mini taros (芋頭), another food that we ate once a year at Mid-Autumn Festival.  


Just this afternoon I got a pomelo (柚子)from our Staff Association.  It is bright yellow, and from a certain angle, from a distance one can mistake it for the moon.  


It is raining tonight.  Chances are that we won’t be able to see the moon from Hong Kong.  Fortunately, my colleagues have created a replacement using our office’s logo.   


One of our three daughters came home for dinner, and we ate a lot of fruits and mooncakes afterwards.  Knowing that our other two daughters are safe and sound, even though they are away from Hong Kong, my Mid-Autumn festival is complete.  

No comments: