Saturday, September 08, 2018

Running on Nathan Road in the morning

There are many advantages of coming out to run in the morning.  There are hardly anybody on Nathan Road.  


So you don’t need to worry about avoiding people on the sidewalk, not even cars on the road.  You can run on the road if you wish.  I ran in the middle of Nathan Road many times during the days of the Occupy Movement.  But not since then.  In the early morning you can, if you dare. 


Passing through Yau Ma Tei, there is another of the 2,000+ elderlies trying to earn a few dollars by picking up cardboard.  We have probably seen them too often to think too much about it.  But if we really think about it, how sad it is that they have to do this in their old age?  What if they happen to be our parents?  Relatives?  Will we care more?


As I turned around in Cheung Sha Wan, near some of the industrial buildings, I passed by a food stall which was offering relatively inexpensive meals.  


I poked my head in.  The place looked decent.  I can eat here, I thought.  But not now.  I still had a run to finish.  


Near the end of my run, I passed by an elegant old building which has been preserved.  That is quite a pleasant surprise considering this is Hong Kong, where we have a habit of tearing down old buildings - say they are not old enough or not well-preserved enough to be preserved!  It is now run as a medicine shop and sort of small museum.  



Exactly at the end of my run in Yau Ma Tei, I passed by old Duck Yue (德如).  It seems to have been mothballed for years.  Yet it is still there.  I wonder what is going to happen to it.  It is so sad to see these old establishments disappearing one by one.  


I am glad I made myself go out to run this morning.  I am now working in the office, pleasantly tired physically, but mentally more relaxed and actually feeling fresh.  For the record, I ran 4 times this week, for a total of 50 kilometers.  I am happy.  



No comments: