Monday, October 22, 2018

A Good Day

We often heard “Good morning!” “Good Day!” “Have a nice day!” …  What exactly is a good day? 

Late last evening, I put my feet up on a chair because they were sore. My mobile phone told me that I had run and walked 30,000 steps, equivalent to 22.8 kilometres.  I suddenly realised that I have had a very good day. 

In the morning, I went running with my wife.  She went home after 4 kilometers, but I pushed on and did 19.  Along the way, I passed by Tsim Sha Tsui, where the swimmers had just finished the Cross Harbour Race.  I recalled that on the previous Sunday there was a Bicycle Race in the same area.  It is a good thing that Hong Kong people seem to be getting more active.  I continued to run through the heart of Kowloon.  I passed the tourists with their rolling suitcases, the crowded posh shops, the wet markets that stretch from Jordan to Mongkok through Yaumatei, the Tin Hau Temple amid the big Banyan trees in Yaumatei, the bustling shops and street food of Mongkok, the old shops in Shumshuipo, the public housing of Shekkipmei and Wongtaisin. My feet were hurting but it was a good kind of hurt.  And I feel connected to the real Hong Kong.  


Afterwards my wife and I went out to have Korean food.  It was good food. 

We then went to a Christian book fair.  I bought a book by a writer, who went through a lot himself for sticking to his beliefs, to the young people who were sent to jail for protesting against the land use in northern Territories.  The hardening of the attitude of the government in Hong Kong,  the dominance of land owners and the real estate developers, and the suffocating political situation is depressing.  Yet it is heartening to know that there are still people who care and there are some who are thoughtful.  It makes me more hopeful. 


In a mall next door to the book fair, we found a wonderful shop full of miniatures for sale.  We have seen several exhibitions of miniature models of iconic Hong Kong buildings and sights.  Now some enterprising people have turned them into products that we can buy.  They even allow you to take pictures in the shop.  Evidently they are not afraid that some may steal their design ideas.  Perhaps they feel the publicity generated is worthy of the risk.  Perhaps they are confident they they will continue to be creative and remain a step ahead of the competition.  This is the same kind of open, confident and creative spirit that we are trying to cultivate for our own service-learning initiatives. Shops like this is the perfect place to buy uniquely Hong Kong souvenirs. 


Then we had beef hotpot for dinner, my favourite combination of meat and vegetables.  


When we went home, we watched a TV program about the keeper of a bookshop that went foul with the authorities for selling banned books.  The bookshop was closed down, the keeper was taken into mainland China, and he was compelled to give up a list of his customers.  The case is really depressing.  But the fact that he remains standing, that some people care enough to make a movie of it, and that the movie can still be broadcasted give us some hope. 


My good day involves strenuous exercise, good food, local creativity and glimmers of hope.  


No comments: