Thursday, October 11, 2018

Service-Learning conference in Vietnam

PolyU has been sending students to Vietnam for service-learning projects for 6 years.  During this time, we have made quite a number of friends.  One of these friends is now working at the University of Economics and Finance, a new private university.  When UEF decided to get serious with service-learning, they invited us to make a presentation on our experiences at a conference on service-learning, for their staff and many from other interested universities.  I am very glad to have another opportunity to promote service-learning, and explore opportunities for collaboration. 


The existence of UEF and many others like it is an indicator of the vibrant higher education community in Vietnam.  When I looked out from the conference site at the top level of the building, I could see the wide streets and new developments - an indicator of the rapid development of the Vietnamese economy.  The proliferation of Western-style coffee shops testify to the growth of a youthful middle class.  


The audience at the conference was very enthusiastic. There were so many questions that the organiser made us return after lunch to answer more questions.  Mostly familiar questions that we have faced, or are still facing ourselves.  I am so glad that our experiences can be of use to this community.  

I was particularly struck by the fluent English of my interpreter, a young Vietnamese lady who grew up and went to university in Vietnam.  It turned out she picked up her American accent from her colleagues in a company involved in arranging internship opportunities in Vietnam for American students.  

In Vietnam, I see a youthful country working hard to modernise its education system.  I am glad service-learning brought me here, and I would love to come back.  





No comments: