Sunday, October 07, 2018

Mini-jackfruit

If jackfruit is 大樹菠蘿, than is mini-jackfruit  小樹菠蘿?  or  小大樹菠蘿?  I haven’t found out yet.  But I did bring one back from Vietnam in my suitcase, and it did not disappoint. 


It is slightly bigger than my palm, and really does look like a small jackfruit.  The internal structure is very much like that of a jack fruit.  


Underneath the spiky skin is a layer of pale white pith.

Embedded in the pith are pieces of pale yellow edible flesh, each about 2 cm long. The flesh is sweeter than jackfruit, and soft, more like durian than jackfruit. 


Wrapped inside the flesh is a seed roughly 1.5 cm long, 1/3 the size of a seed of a normal jackfruit.  


I like it.  I don’t think I have have seen it in Hong Kong.  Next time, perhaps I will bring back some more.  







No comments: