Saturday, July 04, 2020

My first fan

I “made” my first fan today.  I didn’t actually make it from scratch.  I bought a kit, composed of a blank fan “face” and a skeleton, when I was in Beijing last July.  

On one face I wrote the first verses from Dao De Jing (道德經), the “Bible” of Daoism (道家).  


On the opposite face I wrote the first verses from the first chapter of The Gospel According to John.


The word “word” in John is generally believed to refer to Jesus Christ.  It was translated into the Chinese character Dao (), probably sometime in the 19th century.  Dao has been, of course, the fundamental concept of Daoism for thousands of years.  The word Dao is often translated into the “way, or path”.  The translators of the Bible were, no doubt, aware of it when they translated the Bible into Chinese.  So they must have purposely connected Jesus Christ with the core concepts of Daoism.  

Why isn’t this discussed or taught in the church? 



No comments: