Thursday, February 10, 2022

Vegetarian Buffet

A place that serves a vegetarian buffet - My Meat Run Buddy 走肉·朋友 in Tai Kok Tsui 大角咀 - is closing soon.   My wife and I, and a good friend, went there one more time before we run out of time.  


I am a meat lover.  For me, a meal is not quite a meal if there is no beef, pork, chicken, or some other kind of meat.  At least there has to be fish or some other kind of seafood. 走肉·朋友 is one of those few vegetarian places where I feel I can have a proper meal, for a reasonable place.  Our daughter A who took us there the first time, and I am grateful.  


I like particularly deep fried lotus root (炸蓮藕) and fried sweat potato (炸番薯). The “sweet and sour deep fried ribs (糖醋排骨)” made actually of fried dough (油炸鬼) does look and chew like ribs - I think the sauce helps a lot.  



The snake soup (蛇羹) also does look and taste like snake soup.  The shredded lemon leaves gives the soup that distinctive look and taste. 


There are many salads. There are, naturally, many dishes made with tofu (豆腐).  



It does make up a satisfying meal, even for a meat lover like me.  


The place has been around for many years.  Every time we come here, it is full of people.  I am not sure why it is closing.  Perhaps, like so many independent, small eateries without deep pockets, it simply cannot manage with the loss of business due to all the restrictions imposed by the government in the name of the pandemic. 


#food, #chineseculture




No comments: