Thursday, June 07, 2007

Life after Death

The sacrifice made by the June 4th victims made me think again about death and its aftermath. Life is the most precious thing that we have. Why would anyone be willing to give it up? It must be for something even more precious. For some, it is justice, others love, or a long lasting reputation. In any case, if my existence, hence consciousness, expires at death, would justice, love, reputation, or any other “valuable” things for that matter, be valuable to me – who does not exist any longer?

So if I am willing to give up my life, if I am not afraid of death, I must believe I continue to be conscious, hence exist, in some form, correct?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。

StephenC said...

Yes. 文天祥 was one of those who believed there is a value higher than life.

In fact, I believe most people do. Just that many are too busy, too occupied, too timid, too short-sighted, or too something-else to act on it. That's a pity. Because in the end, they lose, and humanity loses as well.