Saturday, June 30, 2007

Umbrella Generosity

A man was huddling with his kid under a shelter. He had to cross the street but it was raining. He didn’t know what to do.

Suddenly a young man thrust an umbrella in his face. “Take it.” The father hesitated, perhaps he was thinking: how am I going to return this to you? “Cannot let the kid catch the rain. I am almost home. Don’t worry about it.” The young man put the umbrella in the father’s hand and walked away.

I was amazed. Thinking quickly for a change, I pulled out my camera and followed the young man, trying to take his picture to prove to myself he is a real person instead of an angel. But he walked too fast, and disappeared inside a fitness center.

So I turned around and tried to catch the father instead. Yes, he was the one with the green umbrella. It was a rushed shot, but you should still be able to make out the kid in his arm.

I did not make this up. My youngest daughter was with me and can bear witness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't this make your day?

The young man must be happy, the father and kid would be very thankful, and of course, you and your girl have been touched and encouraged by such kindness, and Our Lord smiling from on high.

I do hope the father would tell the kid the stranger's kindness, and we would too, so we won't be shy to help strangers in need.

StephenC said...

Yes, of course. I believe not too many people beside me and my daughter noticed this little act of kindness in a vast city. And I feel obligated to share it with you all.

By the way, the young man looked more like a trainer than a customer of the fitness club.