Monday, December 03, 2007

Fishing for Rabbit Fish (釣泥鯭)

This man fishing in the Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter was an expert. Within a minute of dipping the lure into the water, he would be flicking out a 泥鯭. And he repeated it something like 10 times in the short time I was watching.

This one in his hand was about 5 inches long. You probably need 10 to 20 of these to make up one catty (一斤). Smaller ones he simply threw back into the water. He said in a good afternoon he could catch 200 of these, weighing more than 10 catties altogether.

I picked up the plastic bag into which he threw his catch. There were lots of them in there, and my guess was that they probably weighted about 3 catties altogether. He said there were larger fish to catch even in the shelter. Because the shelter opened into the harbour, bigger fish, such as foot-long mullet (烏頭) would come into the shelter. But he was fishing for 泥鯭 today, using a dough made of flour as bait.

He was fishing mainly for fun, not to sell them. He said he would eat some, and give most of them away to friends. I am not sure I want to eat them though, knowing where they came from, and what they eat.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own
a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam
comments? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you
can suggest? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.

Also visit my web blog - bmi calculator men

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for the interesting post on fishing in cwb. May i ask if you know how to make the dough bait? I would like to try rabbit fishing with my son. Also, what size hook is that? Seems very small.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You can get those deep fried brown breads from the Chinese congee shops in Hong Kong. Rabbit fish loves those.