Friday, October 14, 2016

Fantastic Figures near Black Hill 五桂山

I was walking behind my daughter A along Wilson Trail Section 3, near Black Hill (五桂山).  We were in a dense forest which blocked off the sun.  I almost jumped when I spotted something that looked like small men on the left side of the trail, no more than a few feet away.  

We looked around, and realised that we were surrounded by fantastic figures.  


Some were recognisable as figures out of Chinese legends.  Such as the Pig 豬八戒 from Travels to the West 《西遊記》.  


And 武松, who beat a tiger to death in 水滸傳》, after drinking a lot of wine.


A cowboy playing a flute. 


A huge turtle. 


And many others.  It was a little spooky stumbling upon them in a dense forest which blocked off the sun.  







2 comments:

YTSL said...

Hi Stephen --

Those fantastic figures were created by a man named Lee Chun-bor, who was 84 when The Standard published an article about him back in 1996. According to the report, he came across an abandoned Buddhist shrine in the area, restored it and then was inspired to sculpt some figures in the area to add color to the place... It may all be illegal but I have to say that I thought it was pretty cool when I first came across them myself some years back. :)

StephenC said...

Thank you so much for the background.