Wednesday, November 25, 2020

A Dog Attack

It was the beginning of my run along the TSTE promenade.  I was focusing on my ankle, hoping that it won’t give me trouble.  It was sprained a month and a half  ago and it has not yet healed completely.  



Suddenly I was startled by something that lunged at me from my right, slightly ahead of me.  It was a pretty big dog. about a meter away.  There was no warning.  It seemed the dog was muzzled, perhaps that was why there was no big sound coming out of it.  Perhaps it was the non-barking type.  And the man holding the leash was able to pull it back.  He did say sorry.  I was not hurt.  Just startled.  But I could have been hurt.  Even when muzzled, such a big dog can cause some serious damage.  I guess I would probably defend with my legs.  Not sure whether that would be enough against such a big dog.  


I think I have seen the dog before, almost at the exact same spot.  It was then being walked by a small-sized maid.  It was similarly muzzled and on a leash.  I remember thinking to myself that the dog was so big that the maid would not have been able to hold it back, should it decide to attack someone.  I never thought I would be the target.  I even took a picture of it.  I didn’t react at that time.  


I like dogs. I don’t think I am particularly afraid of dogs.  But a big dog that attacks without being provoked is not suitable for a densely populated community such as Hung Hom. 



No comments: