Monday, February 02, 2009

Model boat racing in Victoria Park

Decades ago, my father used to take me to Victoria Park to watch people race model motor boats. I loved watching the speed boats chase each other around the circular pool. Looking back, I now realize we were quite poor and most of our entertainment had to be free. But at the time, I did not feel poor at all. Perhaps it was because most the people around us were equally poor. In any case, my parents did a great job shielding us kids from some of the harsh realities of life.

I have moved on since then, and I have forgotten about the pool, until yesterday. I just happened to pass by the pool and couldn’t identify the noise at first. Then the memories came flooding back.

The pool has been re-modelled, essentially pulled into an elongated circle, allowing the boats to run in a straight-line for a little while, building up speed. The boats are much faster now, with much more powerful engines; they literally jump off the water like the real speed boats.

I can afford to pay for some entertainment now. But watching the boats chase each other is still great entertainment for the little kid in me. I should take my father there sometime.

There does not seem to be too many kids there now. Kids these days have many more ways to entertain themselves. But I am not sure whether it is really such a good thing.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession
capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

Also visit my web page ... diets that work for women