Sunday, February 08, 2009

My last full marathon

I was in excruciating pain for about an hour and a half - the last third of my marathon this morning. My legs were cramping all over, even in places where I did not know I have muscles. My heels were hurting so badly I could barely stand, let alone walk or run. But I did survive, and finished in about 5 hours and 15 minutes.

This time I am really going to quit. I actually trained harder this year. But whatever improvement I gained was probably offset by the deterioration in my body - I am getting that much older each year.

But it was also fun while it lasted. The anticipation, the hope, the what ifs, ..., at the starting line was intoxicating.

And I now have proof that there are 5 sharks among the marathoners; that sharks also go to the bathroom, that there are some beautiful people in those shark skins, that sharks are actually friendly - some of them anyway.

And I get to run on the Tsing Ma Bridge (青馬大橋) again. Running in the marathon is pretty much the only practical way to get to walk on the bridge. That would , ...be reason enough to give it a try. And then there is the Ting Kau Bridge (汀九橋), the Western Cross-Harbour Tunnel, ...

And I crossed the finish line at the same time as one of the members of the Legislative Council that I can respect: Leung Yiu Chung (梁耀忠).

So it was a painful but also fun-filled day. As of now, I can hardly stand on my feet. I hope I get better tomorrow, when I have to give a lecture.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you want us to go to the rehab clinic and borrow a wheelchair for your lecture tomorrow?

hee hee hee hee ha ha ha ha

-You Know Who

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. You must be very happy about finishing another marathon (I thought you decided last year not to join again~).

Take care :)

Anonymous said...

What a charming account of the marathon day - a very enjoyable read. I bet you'll be back next year when the pain's been forgotten and only hard skin and memories of the event's excitement, camaraderie and goodwill remain.

StephenC said...

Thanks, Cane and all. It was good to have so many friends who cared. Some seemed surprised that I was not one of those who got sent to the hospital :)

Indeed I was aching all over afterwards but felt good. I was pampered by my family and woke up feeling surprisingly well today. The pampering worked!

Thanks again.

Now you all should try it, if you haven't already.