Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The market at dawn

At 6:30 AM, the Yaumatei wholesale fruit market had already finished most of its business for the day. Boxes of pears, melons, oranges, apples, persimmons, bananas, sugar canes, ..., had been bought and loaded onto trucks, destined for retail stores all over Hong Kong. Later, I saw some of those boxes being delivered at the Mongkok wet market on Nelson Street.

A long haired cat was guarding a small mountain of fruits in boxes. Its legs were covered with fur. I bet it’s nickname is boots, or mittens. It did not mind me taking its picture.

Vegetable stores were being set up.

Big slabs of meat were waiting to be cut up.

Fish were being chopped up. Blood was smeared onto bodies to make them look fresh. They were indeed fresh - I could see them wriggling, with hearts beating, even with their heads chopped off. I don’t know exactly what it is about fish that fascinates me so much.

Fresh tofu was being delivered to a sidewalk snack shop. Hours later, they will become delicious deep-fried tofu. At that moment, they did not look very appetizing, nor hygenic, sitting on the sidewalk and open to the elements.

Many men, mostly middle-aged and above, were dozing off on benches. Isn’t it more comfortable at home?

Another mystery to me: Why is it that most of the people dozing off on park benches are men? While those picking off recyclables from garbage are women?

A side walk dim sum place was doing a brisk business. I was tempted to eat there. But the place appeared to be quite full.

Working girls were still working on the street. Were they just starting? Or wrapping up? I guess they don’t really have fixed work hours.







No comments: