Sunday, June 14, 2015

Aung San Suu Kyi - in person

Our work in Cambodia this year is done.  Today I flew from Phnom Penh to Yangon to join another team of staff and students who came down from Hong Kong 2 days ago.

As soon as I came through immigration and then customs, I found a huge crowd, the thickest that I have ever seen in this airport.  Many of the people were carrying photos of Aung San Suu Kyi.  


As soon as the Lady descended from the arrival level to the ground level, the crowd behind the glass wall raised a cheer.  Cameras went up and lights started flashing.  People rushed along the glass wall to follow her.  I hurried to get out of the way. 


When she came out of the customs area, the crowd went wild. 


It is obvious she is a hero.  A person with such tremendous moral capital can bring about great changes.  No wonder the government is so scared of her.  

No comments: