Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gullible

I found a note about pest extermination on my door when I went back to my office on Sunday, having been away for a week. Then I opened the door and found a dead cockroach in the wastebasket. My first thought was: “It is so strange... I have occupied this office for more than 10 years and I have never seen a cockroach. Now they killed one while I was away.”

When I saw that my desk was covered with cockroaches, I was almost in shock. But the worst was to come.

When I turned around and tried to turn on the lights, there was a huge one right next to the switch - and I almost touched the thing - I literally jumped!

Upon a closer look, I realized that they were just pictures. My thought then was: “Hmm... the exterminators have developed a sense of humor, using pictures of cockroaches in place of notices that say‘this place has been sprayed with insecticide!’. But do they really need to put so many of them there?”I decided to just leave the cockroaches there and deal with them on Monday, and beat a hasty retreat.

It was only on Monday morning, when I found that my office seemed to be the only one visited by the exterminators, and, worse, that no exterminators had actually visited, that it dawned on me that I was the victim of a practical joke!

I could not believe I was so gullible. Now I can’t wait to plan my revenge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hee hee hee hee har har har har

-you know who

Anonymous said...

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they let others have fun.

Anonymous said...

the "cockroaches" look real! my heart almost jumped out of my mouth when i saw them...

StephenC said...

Finally, a sympathetic person! Or a fellow cockcroach-phobia sufferer.

I have to admit, however, once the near-heart attack passed, I could see the funny side of the whole business. Not the least of it was the sight of seemingly-sane people laughing hysterically.